I get excited about unusual things. Things like 9/9/9 (September 9, 2009.) That was yesterday. It will be a hundred years before 9/9/9 rolls around again. (If I'm lucky, and boy do I hope I get lucky, I won't live to see the next one.)
That's why 9/9/9 was a special day. A day for celebration. A day for extraordinary things.
Somewhere around 13 months ago, it was 8/8/8. Do you know what I did on this 8/8/8? The only 8/8/8 of my existence? I ran 8 miles. That's it. And I didn't even do it at 8:00. I remember the day after - 8/9/8 - as a day of remorse. A day of mourning. A day of anguish. A day for penance. I vowed on this 8/9/8, that I would never let a special day of this magnitude slip through my aging phalanges.
And so on this 9/9/9, I planned 9 special and extraordinary things.
- Completed 9 loads of laundry. (Had to split one of the loads up so that 8 loads became 9. Sacrifices, I tell ya. Sacrifices.)
- Took 9 ibuprofen. (Not all at once, however. Had you scared, huh? Although you don't know the milligrams in each ibuprofen, so shame on you for making rash judgments.)
- Made and listened to the "9" playlist. (Which included 99 Luft Balloons, Karn Evil 9, #9 Dream and many others.)
- Listened to Beethoven's 9th, 9 times. (But not in entirety. That would be, like, 9 hours!)
- Grocery shopped and purchased only items that contain a 9 in the price. (Except the chocolate milk - the chocolate milk didn't have a 9 in the price. It was an emergency. I felt a bonk coming and chocolate milk is the best for beating the bonk. Speaking of beats, beets were .99 - I heart beets! - so I bought 9 cans.)
- Made mini loaves of bread, shaped like 9s. (Handed 'em out to 9 friends).
- Sent Megan the theme song for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. (She's my favorite Trekie.)
- Made 9 layer dip. (Beans, jalapenos, taco seasoning, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, olives, tomatoes, green onions. I listed them only because I knew you'd call me on that one.)
- Went to bed at 9:00. (But didn't sleep until I finished 9 pages of Atlas Shrugged. Which is taking me 9 months to finish.)
Are you feeling remorse now? Because you missed out on the Nine Action? Not to worry! 10/10/10 is a year away! You can start planning now.