Let me tell you about The Winder. We met in the spring of 1999. We were two single young hot things amongst a sprightly neighborhood of families. We were both out of our element and I was newly re-converted, so naturally the Relief Society President of that LDS ward assigned The Winder to visit me each month. To keep me on the straight 'n narrow so to speak.
We became friends instantly. Everyone thinks it's because we're both runners, but our running couldn't be any more different. See The Winder was an All American Collegiate athlete who ran short distances (100 to 400 meters) while I was a weekend warrior wannabe athlete who ran long distances (my runs were measured in kilometers or miles, not meters).
Shortly after our introductory visit, I invited The Winder to come to a Jazz game with some of my work cronies. She said sure and we go. At the game, The Winder sits down next to my favorite drunk bald friend (from work that is.... as opposed to all of my other drunk bald friends). He turns to The Winder and says, "Are you a lesbian like all the other girls Rabid brings to these games?" The Winder looked at me as if to say "I thought I left my dyke image at College!" I had a Subaru Outback so I fit the part.
Nine years later, we're both married to men. I've had two Yahoos and she and her hubby tried for six long years (or was it seven?) to have a Yahoo of their own. After 85 different medical procedures, 52 dollar-store pregnancy tests, 17 pounds of clomid, and one blissfully positive blood test, the Winder is pregnant. And due in three weeks.
Here's your Baby's Coming playlist. Enjoy.
- Yesterday's Mistake - Oi Va Voi
- Woozy - Faithless
- Going Fetal - Eels
- Wasted - Brandi Carlile
- The Water - Feist
- Watch Out Below - Echo & The Bunnymen
- Visions of You - Jan Wobble's Invasion of the Heart
- Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others - The Smiths
- Tug of War - Stretch
- Under Pressure - David Bowie
- Your Time is Gonna Come - Led Zeppelin
- I Get a Kick Out of You - Frank Sinatra
- Time Is Running Out - Muse
- The Scale - Interpol
- Love and Marriage - Frank Sinatra
- Can't Help Falling In Love - Andrea Bocelli
- I'll Tumble 4 Ya - Culture Club
- You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
- What You Waiting For? - Gwen Stefani
- Wonders Never Cease - Morcheeba
- Hymn to Her - The Pretenders
- When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
- Carry That Weight - The Beatles
- Beauty of Uncertainty - KT Tunstall